Pissed Off Paki

I'm pissed off and I'm Paki - do I really need to say anything more?

Saturday, February 18, 2006

My Feelings on Religion

Firstly, I must state that I am an agnost. I must say I am disenchanted by the idea of belief and faith - I'm an empiricist by nature, so no religion can really be "true" in my eyes. Its not just that too - I have issues with Islam itself. Perhaps my thinking is highly influenced by the western individualistic model, but I can' t accept that a woman's testimony is worth half that of a man's, especially when the rationale supplied by clerics is that women lose their sense of judgement when they menstruate, or have psychological problems (yet we let them peform something so demanding such as surgery). Nor can I accept that a non-Muslim is worth half in terms of testimony and blood money. And lets not even get into the certain portions concerning the conduct of war - how the winners may make slaves of the women, and are even allowed to copulate with them. Such things don't fit the morality of current times, and if religion and the Quran is for all times and ages, then its not for me.

Plus there's the issue of religious doctrine superseeding actions. I have a policy when it comes to this:

A God that judges you on your beliefs rather than your action, is a God not worth believing in.

4 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, it's Shauna...and although I was raised Catholic and not Muslim I absolutely agree with this.

People use religion to divide, hate, marginalize...and the Catholic religion has exemplified such concepts. then again, so hasn't almost every other religion. so i've chosen to simply call myself "agnostic".

What's wrong with just respecting an overall concept that there is a greater power than us and leaving it at that? are religions REALLY that much different at the core anyway?

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aly, this is very interesting. I came to a cross roads with my father who I mentioned to you before is muslim. We have had many heated arguments on the role and freedom of choice issues regarding islamic women. You touched on some of those issues in this piece and I enjoyed reading your interpetation....

 
At 5:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your name is 'Alibaba'? That's funny. Getting to the point, I'm sorry to hear that you are agnostic, this is called khaffir in my culture. I hope and pray that you reconsider this mentality soon, but there are MANY interpretations to religion, Islam is no different. You seem to be more familiar to the Wahabi/takfiri/salafi ideologies. Please don't make a blanket judgement on any religion based on its 'zealots'. I don't consider Wahabi's Muslim at all personally, but this is just my(and many other believers) opinion. As far as Muslim 'conquest' and rules please read about what Salahuddin accomplished in his day, during his rule he was very controversial, but in my opinion ground-breaking in the way that Islam was to be seen from both practictioners and observers. Have a good read.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boi your head is definatively fucked up, dnt you realise these khaffirS are ruining your mind

 

Post a Comment

<< Home